Monday, June 3, 2013

20-DAY COUNTDOWN


Well folks, it was hard for me to ever imagine that I would be where I am now, but as crazy as it is to say, I have twenty days left in Germany! (Although by the time I get this posted it will be even less than that.) This is a little tribute to my favorite things I have come across along my journey, with a good majority of them being food. Haha. I would like to introduce, in no particular order….

Germany’s top 20:

1.     Kinder Schokolade
I guess this could just go for all German chocolate in General- I hate to exclude all the other things I have tried. German chocolate is just top notch.  Pure, sweet, hand crafted goodness. Period. I don’t think a Hershey bar will ever satisfy me again. My current favorite chocolate treat is “Kinder Country” which is a chocolate bar with little rice crispy pieces on the inside. A Kinder Riegal, milk chocolate bars surrounding a white chocolate middle are always a good choice as well. And there is of course the classic “Kinder Überaschnungs Ei,” little chocolate eggs with a surprise toy on the inside. I have probably eaten enough chocolate this year to last me my entire life, and I do not regret it one bit.


   2.     Architecture
I love how you can take an hour-long train ride, and the architecture and vibe of a city can completely change. There are so many different and unique cities in Germany and all over Europe, each with a different style making it different from the rest.





   3.     Trains
Germany has one killer Public Transportation System.  I love the fact, that if I take a ride over to the train station I could be anywhere across Europe in only a matter of time and a few Euros. With the easy bus, train, and subway systems, I have been able to go wherever I want, whenever I want.

     4.     CRO
CRO is a German rapper, who is not only known for his great music, but also his unique appearance. He wears a mask whenever he goes out publicly, particularly a panda mask. What a great idea right? He can go his life making music and living without constant publicity. Here is a link to one of his songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pySXCmwpc
It is called “Ein Mal Um Die Welt,” which translated in to English is “One time around the World.”

5.     Discos
If you ever feel the need to let go of life and let loose, a German disco is the place to go. In America we have school dances a few times a year, but I appreciate the casual vibe of just being able to go out and dance on a Friday night. I think America is a bit strict regarding laws concerning minors and what they are allowed to do, and find Germany’s more liberal take on life much more practical and fun!

6.     Sparkling Water
I know, we have bubbly water in America too, but it’s not like when you go to a restaurant you get served a crisp glass of sparkling goodness.

7.     Bike Riding
My family in America bikes quite often, but I love being able to bike to school or wherever else I am going. It has been nice to have a break from constant car rides 2-3 times every day.

8.     The Rhine
The Rhine is a river that goes throughout Germany, and a very popular place for walking along or bike riding. If it’s a sunny day, a picnic along the Rhine is a perfect way to spend the day. 


9.     CBYX’ers and Exchange Students in General
At my first interview for the program where I first met the other potential exchange students, I had no idea that all of them would end up having such a huge influence on my life. Being in a foreign land, there have been so many times where I have went to the other exchange students as a support group. At this point in our lives, we understand each other better than anyone else could. We are all going through the same journey and I am so lucky to have met such an amazing group of people to celebrate the high points with and who have supported me through the low ones.

10. Windows
This one is a bit random, but German windows are great! You can “kipp” them open from the top or open them from the side. They all work the same way, and you find them everywhere.

11. Cake
Perhaps it is just the fact that my host mom is a spectacular cook, but either way, I have eaten some absolutely amazing cakes along this trip. In America, a cake is typically chocolate or vanilla with frosting. In Germany, a cake can be composted of anything, from fruit to chocolate to liquor flavoring. It feels so much more home made and hand crafted as compared to a “just add milk and eggs” Betty Crocker box.

12.  Traveling
I came into this exchange never expecting that I would be able to see so many amazing places while I am here. Not only have I been virtually all across Germany, I have been to London, Paris, Austria, and the Netherlands as well! I am so in love with the short distance travel available in Europe. I must say, that the easy access traveling will be one of the things I miss more than anything.

13. Ice Cream
Every time I go to an ice cream store, I have the hardest time deciding what I am going to get. Italy’s influence on Germany has made their ice cream shops into crafty and creative art studios, where the works are made of ice cream topped with colorful fruit arrays and fanciful chocolate morsels. They even have something called “Spaghetti Eis,” which we may have in America, however I have never came across it. It looks like spaghetti, but really is ice cream with cherry sauce and sprinkles. No matter if it’s German or Italian, the ice cream I have had here has been top notch.




14. Pens
This may sound a bit odd, but I just love the different pens in Germany. They write a lot with fountain pens, which use ink cartridges that you can buy and reuse. You can erase with another ink pen, and yet it looks much classier than a pencil.

15. Crepes
During the cold winter months, a crepe was the perfect treat to warm your senses from the harsh temperatures. There are always crepe stands steaming along the pathways of Christmas Markets. My favorite crepe was packed with Nutella, but I also am a pretty big fan of the ones with cinnamon and sugar. My host sister’s boyfriend even has a crepe-making machine, so sometimes we would create our own.

16. Flowers
Springtime has brought so many beautiful flowers into bloom. My host parents love to garden, and the back yard is a colorful treat, like a fruity dessert for the eyes. Unlike Colorado, the massive amounts of rain make everything grow like crazy. Germany is green and lush and beautiful.

 
    17. Christmas Markets
I know I talked quite a bit about the Christmas Markets in Germany in my past blogs, but I just wanted to emphasize what a special tradition these are. The lit-up wooden boxes and steamy “Gluhwein” really makes the holiday season in Germany one to remember.
 


      18. Karnival
Karnival is such a fun time of year in Germany, whether you decide to go out and hard-core party, just go to a simple parade, or decide to stay home and watch the floats from the comfort of your own living room, the excitement from the time of year is bound to cheer you up through the cold winter months.

19. Apfel Schorle
Apfel Schorle is pure German goodness. The recipe is simple; you can even make it yourself! It is simply apple juice mixed with sparkeling water. Friends, I will be making this for you when I get home.

20. Caring People
I know that there are certain stereotypes that Germans are cold and uncaring, yet I must say, I find this to be utterly and completely untrue. I came into this country without very much awareness of the language and the culture, and the people I came across were so unbelievably patient with me, and helped me through so many times of confusion. They would do whatever they had to in order to communicate with me, whether that was trying their hand at English, encouraging me through my broken German, or even using hand gestures to get a point across.  Whether it was the people I asked to help when I still didn’t really know how to read a train time table, the people that helped me in class when I didn’t understand what was going on, or anyone else that has been there for me in a time of need, I am so very grateful for all of you. Thank you, whether you know you are one of these people, or just another person that has supported me throughout this exchange. I am so lucky to have such an awesome support group. I have been so lucky to have the opportunity to see another side of the world. It has been a year of high highs and low lows, and a year where I have been able to see myself change as a person in a very short amount of time. Exchange may not always be easy, but the things you see, the people you meet, and the things you learn about yourself are lessons you hold onto.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this post! I am going on an exchange next year with CBYX and this made me very hopeful and excited for my upcoming adventure! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete