Sunday, September 30, 2012

Just Another Week


This week was definitely a challenging one for school. I’m to the point where I can understand what the teacher is talking about, but not every single little detail and important fact they say. I’m pushing myself everyday to understand more and resist the urge to just zone out.  On Friday, I took a four-hour test in English. That’s right, four hours! The German tests are a lot different than American tests. They’re all planned from the beginning of the year, and take place less often, with no multiple choices, ever. And while I was writing two essays and a summary on a speech Queen Elizabeth delivered, I realized that my English was not quite up to its the normal, quick, natural self. I felt a lot slower and it took me longer to analyze the document than it should have. I’ve heard this is natural for exchange students, but it was weird actually first hand experiencing it.
I’ve been able to have real “conversations,” with my classmates. When they slow down, I can actually understand them! The other day I sat down for tea and cake with my host family, my “Opa and Oma,” a cousin of my host sisters, and her boyfriend, and I actually followed the conversation the entire time. It feels so good to have rewarding experiences like that and see that all the challenges I go through paying off.
Your probably curious, have I gotten homesick yet? And the answer is yes, I had never once been home sick in my life throughout all the trips I’ve taken, and now I finally know what it is like to experience it. I miss sleepovers with my friends, my family, my dog, long drives blasting music, my closet, and a good ole’ Chipotle Burrito Bowl. Sometimes when I’m in school I just wish that things were like they were in America, that I could do homework, feel accomplished, and read passages without struggle. This trip is not easy, and I didn’t expect it to be. However, I know that things are the exact same at home, and they will be waiting for me when I get back.  I can’t even imagine how bored I would be sticking to the same routine for another year. Instead of taking AP Euro, I’m getting European History from a completely different perspective. I’m seeing new things and discovering a new way of life. I’m changing my view on the world and becoming a smarter, more intelligent, and stronger person.  I just can’t let the culture shock put me in a negative place. I’m amazingly grateful that I have the opportunity to be on this trip. Life is good J
And, on that note, I have one more week of school and then “Herbst Ferien.” Which means two weeks off from school!  Expect new blog posts and lots of surprises to be coming soon J
Also, cooked shrimp taco's for my host family last Sunday and it went surprisingly well! I was nervous because I was missing some key ingridents that make them really good, like cilantro and avocado, but overall they weren't too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment