Sunday, October 14, 2012

DAY 1: A Taste Of Oktoberfest



I was awoken at 5:30 a.m. Sunday morning, tired but completely excited for the coming week. After fitting all 6 of our suitcases in my host families van, we started the long car ride from Herne to Munich. Somewhere around 5 hours and a long nap later, we arrived at Lars’s sisters and her husband’s house where we would be staying. After a quick lunch, we tried on a few drindel’s that my host aunt already owned. We then all set out to Oktoberfest, a big celebration in Munich that takes place every year. I wasn’t really sure what to expect when we left. I had heard so much about Oktoberfest that I had a lot of different visions in my mind of what it would be like.
When we first got there, my initial thought is that it was just like a county fair. There were all kinds of rides, snack booths, and people bustling in and out. And then, to my surprise, we stepped into a big tent, and what do you know? People dancing on benches, music, and huge glasses of beer being swung around by nearly everyone. There were several different buildings, and each one had it’s own decorations. Some of them felt like the great hall in Harry Potter gone wild, with huge vaulted ceilings. All of the tents were completely full, and everyone was having a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment