Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thanksgiving in Germany


It was a bit odd walking into school on Thursday the 22nd and realizing that I would usually be waking up to the smell of Turkey in the house and the Macy’s Day Parade on TV. It was also my sisters 18th Birthday, so the day was extremely busy with presents, family, and lots of cake. In a way I still got my Thanksgiving feast, just completely German style. I also went all out and baked a pumpkin pie for my host family which we later enjoyed on Sunday when all the birthday partying had died down a bit. I’m pretty sure my host mom thought her kitchen would never look the same (I make quite the mess everytime I cook anything,) but everything turned out well and the pumpkin pie was delicious! And… turkey wasn’t completely lost. I have a friend here in Herne from Michigan that works as an O’Pair, and she was fortunately brave enough to throw together an entire Thanksgiving meal. I went over by her house on the weekend and it was a great time enjoying a good old turkey and mashed potatoes meal. Thanksgiving also gave me a chance to think about all the things I have to be “dankbar” for here. Two great families, truly great friends across the globe, and an amazingly, challenging, life-changing opportunity at hand. I was happy to be able to bring a part of Thanksgiving to Germany and share a special part American culture with my host family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment